New to the Field Award
SOPHIA The European Network for the Advancement of Doing Philosophy with Children invites applications from emerging P4C practitioners, students and/or scholars, especially those who are Polish or based in Poland.
Share your work-in-progress at our next Network Meeting in Kraków, Poland on 17 – 18 June 2023
The SOPHIA Network supports educators from across Europe, at all stages of their career, to explore the value of philosophical enquiry in their practical work with learners and in their theoretical and empirical research on P4C. The New to the Field Award encourages emerging P4C practice and research, especially in the host country. We invite teachers, practitioners, students, and academics, who are new to P4C, to apply to receive a bursary and an opportunity to share their experiences of philosophical enquiry with our diverse community.
We are seeking applications from individuals or small groups (of no more than three) who are European or based in Europe. Special consideration will be given to those from our host country Poland. Applicants should have recent experience in P4C practice, study, or research which they are willing to share at an informal work-in-progress session.
The award comprises of
- a free ticket (or tickets) to the conference worth €25 per person
- a year’s membership of SOPHIA worth €35 per person
- a bursary towards the cost of travel and accommodation
- a 15-minute conference slot in which we invite you to share your work
- post-conference mentoring from a member of SOPHIA, to help you develop your practice
How to apply
Please submit a 750-word proposal by email to the award coordinator Grace Lockrobin firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of Friday 19 May 2023.
Your proposal should:
- Outline your experience of practising philosophy enquiry or researching the P4C practice of others
- Summarise an interest that you wish to share with the group. E.g. a specific innovation in your
- facilitation, a novel context for your P4C practice, or a curious finding in your research
- Describe the format that your 15-minute session will take. E.g. short talk, case study, or activity
- Address this year’s theme which is: “A Philosophical Compass?”
- Confirm that you have been engaged with P4C for less than 5 years and that you have not presented at SOPHIA before, and that you do not have access to alternative institutional financial support
All applications will be blind-reviewed by a panel of three Board Members. Feedback on unsuccessful applications will be provided upon request, except in the event that we have a very large number of applications. A decision will be made by Monday 29 May 2023.
Find more information and register for this year’s meeting here:
DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE